In the last two posts, we’ve discussed the do’s and dont’s of international humor. Here are a few additional tips from around the world:
* In general, Asians tend not to show excitement. Thais are an exception. They want to have fun while they learn. Be sure to take lots of small gifts to give out and be prepared to receive some too.
* Do not expect standing ovations when speaking in public in Australia. It doesn’t seem to be part of their culture.
* Remember – the U.S. is the foreign country when you speak outside its borders. Lots of things can be different and you should be prepared. Many countries have different standard paper sizes and use two hole punches instead of three. Any video you plan to use must be converted to PAL . You may need a converter to operate equipment you bring with you.
* South of the border people don’t like us to refer to ourselves as Americans. We must remember that we are not the only ones. There are North Americans, Central Americans and South Americans.
* In Japan you should never use self-effacing humor during your public speaking engagement which is well received in American culture. Actually, the Japanese don’t like humor in seminars at all. Conversely, Australians love humor.
The point is that every culture has its likes and dislikes when it comes to humor. They also have customs that can be very different from our own. Your knowledge in this area will help you create a connection with your international audience. You must do your homework, but it is worth it because a laugh sounds the same and produces the same good feelings in any language.
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
Copyright © Advanced Public Speaking Institute
Tom Antion provides entertaining speeches and educational seminars. He is the ultimate entrepreneur, having owned many businesses BEFORE graduating college. Tom is the author of the best selling presentation skills book “Wake ’em Up Business Presentations” and “Click: The Ultimate Guide to Electronic Marketing.” It is important to Tom that his knowledge be not only absorbed, but enjoyed. This is why he delivers his speeches laced with great humor and hysterical jokes. Tom has addressed more than 87 different industries and is thoroughly committed to his clients’ needs. http://www.antion.com
Advanced Public Speaking Institute
3105 Sergin Ct. / Virginia Beach, VA 23452
(757) 431-1366 / Fax (757) 431-2050
Visit our Blog at http://www.GreatPublicSpeaking.BlogSpot.com
Article Source: http://EzineArticles.com/?expert=Tom_Antion